Saturday, December 06, 2008

These creations were for the Dynamic Duos/Divine Secret Sisters Round 3. We were to send at least 2 cards per month to our Secret Sister, all the while keeping our identity a secret. We were able to communicate via secret emails we made up, but not reveal our true selves until 3 months was up. I had so much fun creating stuff for my lil Sis, it was hard to know when to stop. In case you weren't sure, her favorite color was red.

This is an altered cigar box. I always love little trinket boxes for myself, so assume that everyone else does, too. These are coated, so you can use it for almost anything. I tore some pretty DP then distressed the edges with walnut ink then ModPodged them on. Once dry, I stamped with Versamark and black embossing powder from the Stampin Up sets Antique Collectibles and Papa's Pocket. Also added a few other sentiment stamps. Finished it off by adding chipboard pieces and ribbon and buttons (shanks cut off) that had an old world look to them, as well as one of those closures that you wrap the string around. (I'm sure there's a technical name for them, but if you know me, it's "that thingy ma-bobber".
For her name, I found some wood letters painted white at the $ store and rubbed my Red Riding Hood ink pad over it to give it some color without actually painting it solid. Then took same distressed ink pad from the cigar box and rubbed it around randomly. Used the same stamping method here with the embossing powder. On the wooden letters, I also glued on some small buttons and tiny key charms before sealing it with a couple of ModPodge layers. The letters are about 8-10 inches tall, I didn't measure them.

One more thing I made was this mini scrapbook ... okay, so I expanded it a bit more and it's not quite as mini as when I set out. Decided on a size I wanted the pages to be and basically just made card bases folded in half in alternating colors (old olive and vanilla). I glued these together facing each other. I got the idea from something I saw sitting on the counter at Archivers. While theirs was only about 4 pages, I wanted a little more girth in this one, so I kept going .. and going .. and going .. (where IS that Energizer bunny when you need him?) ANYway ... I took about 4-5 sheets of DP that had similar colors without going for 'matchy-match' designs. I took these papers and cut them in random sizes and shapes and placed them throughout the inside of the book, on both sides, to give my Lil Sis something to start with, yet leaving her room for her own style and pictures of her family or friends. While its not that difficult to make these, I found it difficult to actually want to send it ... I was quite pleased with the results.
Anyway ... my Lil Sis seemed pleased with her stash, so I was happy as well.
I'll be back later to post some more of my recent cards. There's a couple that I have to say I'm kind of proud of.
Thanks for hanging out ...
,

1 comment:

peata said...

sounds like a lot of fun.
i dig the altered box.
.
making mini albums
mini album blog
.