Monday, January 19, 2009

I was busy this weekend, see previous post, so I didn't get a chance to do all the VSN Crush Challenges, but since I'm one of the hostesses for the February 20-21 Challenges, we got a sneak peek, so I was able to make some of the cards ... These are the ones I was able to finish and upload.
This was my "Save the Date" card.
I made it rather generic since I didn't have anything particular in mind that I wanted to use it
for. (Okay, now I can think of a ga-zillion, lol). I really liked the way the colors look together - the saffron sponged with burgundy, on the burgundy mats just looked perfect with the flowers I picked.

The next challenge was a technique challenge: Burned Batik. I embossed in clear EP on white cardstock the floral image you see as the main image. I heat embossed it just a smidge past "done". (This was take-4 ... initially instructions were to heat it until it soaked through the cardstock, but I found that by heating it that long, the embossing powder nearly dissolved so the effect was lost.) ANYway ... after embossing, I misted the cardstock fairly well and then took some pink pirouette on a sponge, dabbing it here & there. Did the same for riding hood red until I got this batik effect. WONDERFUL technique - I love love love it. I received the ribbon through the SCS Wish trade. I may have to break down and buy my own supply, lol.

This next challenge was "Love me Tender" - use something soft on the card. My immediate thought was flocking - well, I only have this purple flocking, so the card was built around the flocking. Once colored, I added the flocking on top of 2-way glue & let it dry. On top of the image panel is an oval framed I cut and then CB'd with the swirl embossing folder, then matted up on dimensionals to give it a shadow box feel.

The next challenge was to make a Hope Chest-type of box. I had just finished this origami box last week on SCS's TLC challenge and wanted to 'perfect it'. I just loved the idea of using the Bella Rose DP from Stampin' Up. This pairing reminded me of chocolate covered cherries.

I just LOVE the way it turned out. I was trying to make the box the other day from memory, at cheerleading practice and one of the coaches daughters fell in love with it (crude and rudimentary, tho it was) ... so I told her I could do WAY better than that (no paper cutter to make sure it was square, no pampered chef scraper to crease the folds, no design on top) ... So this is for Haley's Treasures.
This was the 5th challenge:
Something OLD
Something NEW
Something BORROWED (or gifted)
Something BLUE

One of my stamping buddies has another buddy (7 degrees of stamping) ... Anyway, this technique used Teykol. I had to order some all the way from Europe. It's a white liquid paste type of product that acts much the same way as embossing resist or white crayon resist. I poured a little bit of my NEW Teykol on a small paper plate and stamped an OLD butterfly image in the Teykol liquid then stamped over a glossy cardstock that was also recommended that I got from the same company. It's similar to the SU glossy white, only super thick and glossy on both sides. I set the images aside to let dry and came back to sponge some pink, blue and light green across the surface. My BORROWED was the flowers - they were gifted to me by my Secret Santa last month. And as for the BLUE - well, that's an easy one, right?
If you're interested in checking out this technique, this is the website I ordered from, but it's not in English. I'm not sure if it's Germany or Norway or where, but if you're good at visuals, they have a tutorial on how to use this products 3 different ways here: http://www.art-journey.nl/shop/ - click on "Techneiken", then "Techneikenrubriek 2" then scroll down to Teykol. VERY cool. Thanks again to Kim (SCS: Luvs Flowers) and Christiana for the ideas.

This last one involved weaving ... I had just grand ideas in mind for this, but since I was taping as I went along, I ended up with a stripe of kraft and a stripe of not quite navy that I couldn't take out and re-weave.
The entire DP is woven DP's from a paper pack - I think the colors are not quite navy and kraft, but they weren't marked. I think next time I try this, it'll be with re-positionable tape so I can get a good pattern going.

This 'card' was from Friday night, a Scrapling, for the flirtation challenge over on VSN at SCS. Apparently, some people, when asked to make a square card, cut off the strip at the end of a regular sized card and have this wasted piece left over (ME? I just bump it up to a 5.5x5.5 card) ... SO ... I had to make my own wasted piece, lol.

Thanks again, for stopping by ... Appreciate any comments.

No comments: