Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Here is a sampling of what I did for the Splitcoasters' Virtual Stamp Night a couple of weeks ago, themed Winter Olympics.

The challenge for this first card was based on one of the
"official" sweaters. The background was sponged (simulation of Zindorf's fabulous brayering technique) with basic black on one side and burgundy on the other side. I then ran the panel through my Argyle Cuttlebug embossing folder. When I added the burgundy twine to the brads, I like the way the background has a quilted appearance. I was very pleased with how this turned out.

For this next card, we were to make the card as much white as possible. I used some of the CB embossing folders rather than actually stamping images and used a very thin bashful blue mat to help the layers pop. Super simple - I think it only took me about 10 minutes from cover to cover ... well within the 45 minutes they allot you.


This card here was based on a sketch of the symbol representing these 2010 Winter Olympics. Not the 5 rings, but an "Inukshuk". An Inukshuk is a stone landmark (or cairn) built for centuries by people of the Arctic North Americas. They've been used for navigation, land markers and even food caches. If you're interested in more information, Watch this YouTube interview. I'm finding myself drawn to some of the older Stampin' Up sets - I used my Zig brush markers to color the stamps themselves and then 'huffing' on them before stamping. And yes, I've seen flowers this color, lol.

This challenge from VSN for the Winter Olympics was to incorporate GOLD! I think you can see it, but this Japanese designer paper is almost like rice paper, very thin and delicate. The flowers are all outlined in a wonderful shimmery gold. So that's the first use ... Then there's the mat behind the image & sentiment. Last is the gold ribbon. I love this paper. I ended up buying 2 sheets of 3 papers, and am squandering it - "Is THIS card worthy?" It's perfect for that subtle effect.


I won't bore you will all my VSN challenges, but these were some of the ones I was most pleased with. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.


No comments: