Thursday, January 06, 2011

SplitCoast Stampers Wish RAK New Year Challenges for Operation Write Home

Every once and a while, Splitcoast Stampers' Wish RAK stampers have a night of challenges where all the cards are donated to Operation Write Home - where cards are sent to the troops so that they have something to send home to their family and friends.  In case you don't know - the Wish RAK (random act of kindness) is where you can post requests for specific images you might be wanting to try out before you buy, or know you won't use as much, but can still have a few images.  It's not a guarantee that you'll receive what you ask for, though.  You, in turn, can grant wishes for any of the images out there.  If you're interested in finding out more about it, check out Splitcoast Stampers here.

This New Years eve was no exception.  Out of 12 challenges, I managed to make it through 7 of them so far.  This first challenge was to make a card for St. Patrick's Day.  I used an image I received from C.C. Designs, I think it's called Spring Trevor.   I stamped the bench first then colored the image with Copics and prisma colored pencils, cut it out and popped it up on dimensionals.  The papers are digital papers from Designer Digitals.  The sentiment is computer generated.

The next challenge card was to create an Easter themed card.  I love the Changito monkeys from Stampendous.  I finished this card off with some Stampin' Up seam binding for the bow - love how this ribbon turns out.

This next card was supposed to follow the Spotlight technique - stamp image twice & color one, cut or punch out one area and place it directly over the other image.  I wanted to make this background portion subtly colored, so used some light pink coloring.  Stacy, aka jbgreendawn, has some of the best stamps around and sent me a few of these. 

This cute kitty from Penny Black represents the challenge to create a card that a man or woman can express their love with.  He was colored with prisma colored pencils and gamsol.  I ran the background panel through the Stampin' Up vintage wallpaper embossing folder then sponged all over with Tim Holtz tea dye to bring out the embossing.

This next one is a PSX image ... want this stamp so bad, but the PSX brand isn't in my price range, I'm afraid, so was grateful when I received this image.  The challenge here was to create an anniversary card.  I once again used prisma colored pencils and gamsol to color this.  I think the Stampin' Up blueberry crisp designer paper sets it off perfectly.  What do you think?

This cute puppy from Whipper Snapper was made for a birthday card for a teenage boy using a punch.  The sentiment and mat were punched.  I didn't plan on going monochromatic so much, but these Basic Grey kraft papers were so perfect together, I had to let it flow.

For this last challenge, we were supposed to incorporate eyelets.  When they first came out, I had to have them all ... colors, sizes, etc.  The hammering made me put them, aside until the Crop A Dile was released, and now I just forget to pull them out unless challenged to do so.  I'm not sure where this image came from, but thought it was a cute one to use for a teenage girl's birthday.  That is a brushed silver sheet of Stampin Up cardstock that I ran through their Top Note die then embossed with one of their folders.  The sentiment here is also computer generated.


7 out of 12 is pretty good, right?  Now I have to send them off to Operation Write Home so they can distribute them.  As always, look forward to hearing what you have to say.

1 comment:

Arts by Sara said...

Whoa! You have been busy! I love all the cards! Your idea's are awesome! Boy O' Boy... I would love to get inside your head somedays! LOL! You are very talented and have creative thinging! Congrats on making it to 7 out of 12, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing them with me! Happy Creating! Sara
PS... Your signature picture is not showing up? It is showing that nasty red X again! Didn't know if you knew that!